Friday, January 8, 2016

3D Printed Radar Eye and Logic Display Bezels

There has been an increasing number of files available on Astromech.net for 3D printing R2 parts, and since I am building a new dome I decided to 3D print the radar eye and logic display bezels.

The 3D-printed pieces really turned out nicely the Dremel Ideabuilder printer. They were printed at highest quality, with 3 shells and a 35% infill. I started sanding the radar eye last night and the PLA sands beautifully. I am using a 120 grit sandpaper on my Dremel Multimax tool.

I plan on printing the holoprojectors as well since I found Vickers Viscount 3D print files that someone had posted online. Thank you inter webs!








2 comments:

  1. Kevin! I've been following your R2 Build, and I'm attempting to 3d print my own radar eye at my college. Did you use supports on your print? came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, thank you for your kind words! No, I did not use supports. I positioned it so the left side was flat on the build plate and it printed just fine on its own! Yo can see the print orientation in the to photo. Let me know how yours goes!

      Delete