Sunday, November 15, 2015

Dome Drive Gear

I was unhappy with the performance of the BaneBots wheel that moved the lazy susan for my dome, so I designed and 3D-printed a dome gear for R2 on the Dremel IdeaBuilder printer at work.

I had some initial quality issues withe the 3D-printed pieces, but that was my fault due to the fact that I did not properly level the build plate. Doh!

The gear was made from one piece that I printed four times. The four pieces tabbed together to make the whole ring. I then sandwiched it between two rings of Sintra to make it more sturdy.

I 3D-printed a motor gear so that it would fit over the 1/2" Banebots shaft on my Jaycar YG2738 dome motor. 

I have to say that I am very happy with the results, and the dome stops on a dime!







You can see a video of the dome drive in action also on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aPWyvSrpXQ





3 comments:

  1. Kevin, I like your dome gear. How is that working for you? Do you sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The dome gear has been working great. I do not sell them, it was a little problematic to print without warping, but I that is due to my finicky Makerbot printer. I would be glad to share the files with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love it if you could share the file. I have a bearing similar to a Rockler which has an inside diameter of 13 3/4. Can the file be sized for that? I'm trying to fix my rotation so that it works for Halloween. Thanks so much for responding. I'm a little late reading this. bb-8 sidetracked me.

    ReplyDelete