Sunday, November 14, 2010

Outer Skin Progress

I got the outer skins set up with the 3M VHB tape and I tell ya, it works like a charm. I put strips of it onto the backside of the outer skins and burnished it down. The backer peeled off easily and the tape is just tacky enough to hold but not too strong so you can reposition it.

I started with the back right side, got that in place and then worked my way around. Then I repeated the process for the front. I overlapped the front skin over the seam for the inner skins and things joined together nicely. A little filler later will hide any seams.

I then super-glued along the edges. I initially tried using the thin super glue from Hobby Lobby but it was too thin and came out too quickly. I wound up using Crazy Glue that I had on hand. It was thin enough to wick into the gaps but thick enough not to run all over the place.

Then I sanded the inset panels for the back and super glued then on. I positioned them in place with a piece of painter's tape, hinging it along on edge. Then I put some CA on the back, flipped it into place and smoothed it in down. Worked like a charm!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Domes and Bearing!

UPS brought lots of treats today! The 60 gauge domes from Barnards in Chicago arrived as well as the replacement bearing from VXB!

The dome is the perfect diameter. It overhangs the dome by about 1/16" all the way around. The dome ring should overhang the body nicely once it is attached. I could not be happier!

The 60 gauge dome has a little give to it if you press in firmly, but I don't think that will be an issue. Now, how best cut off that pesky flange?

I bought a 394mm bearing since I wanted a little clearance and was uncomfortable with a 17-3/4" bearing. As you can see from the pictures, the 394mm bearing fits nicely on the top body ring.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Slow Going

Work on my R2 has been delayed lately due to the fact that both boys are in middle school and need a lot of help at night with homework.

Also, I strained my elbow cutting out the styrene skins 3 weeks ago and now I officially have "tennis elbow." I saw the doctor last week and he suggested icing it, taking ibuprofen, wearing a brace, and resting it by trying not to use it.

Makes it hard to work when gripping something causes shooting pains down your arm.

I did use my Dremel MultiMax to sand the inner and outer skins today. I would have attached the outer skins if I had not left the VHB tape at work. Doh!

Hopefully the 60 gauge dome from Barnards in Chicago will be delivered tomorrow, along with the replacement lazy susan bearing from VXB. Then things are really gonna start happening!