Saturday, November 5, 2016

Discovery World Sci-Fi Day

Well I completely flaked out and forgot to post about the Sci-Fi Day at the Milwaukee Discovery World Museum! While there were not as many costumed characters as last year, because politics, but there were still a great number of people in attendance and a nice showing of R2 Builders. Thanks everyone for all of your hard work!

It was especially fun to see the kid's reactions and to see some really excellent costumes!














Monday, September 26, 2016

Milwaukee MakerFaire



It was time again for the Milwaukee MakerFaire and the R2 Builder's Club was out in full force! Besides myself, we had Craig with his awesome menagerie of droids and creatures, Steve with his beautiful wood and aluminum work-in-progress R2, and the other Steve (there's two of them!), the Usian Bolt of droid builders who has his beautiful R2 there which he completed in 8 months!

I was able to put the new dome and the scooter motorist the test. I took R2 for several trips around the MakerFaire, meeting fans and making new friends. It was great to see excited the kids got, and R2 was feeling the love!
  







Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Radar Eye Redo

At long last I 3D-printed a new radar eye. The first I printed had a flat back on it and would not sit flush against the dome. Doh! This second one I reengineered to be hollow and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will fit adequately. I will install it tomorrow in time to finish up the dome for the Milwaukee MakerFaire on Saturday.



Monday, August 8, 2016

New Radar Eye Lens

I 3D-printed a new radar eye lens for the new dome. It turned out great, up until I left the primed lens out in the sun and the heat caused it to shrink and dimple.




Attempts to smooth out the lens with putty failed, so I printed a new one. I added a larger flange around the the base and it fit beautifully.

A little sanding, some priming and several light coats of gloss black and BOOM! Shiny new lens!

I love doing everything twice. Makes me feel like I am at work.







Thursday, July 14, 2016

Blue Clear Coat

I got some DupliColor Clear coat for the blue dome parts and I have to say that the results were very impressive. The clear coat evened out anything that looked a little mottled and did not diminish the color at all. It gave them the subtle, glossy finish that I was hoping for!

I plan on redoing the chrome on the dome with DupliColor Metallic Silver and then clear coating that, with the hopes of recruiting the same results that I had with the blue pieces.

Wish me luck!


Saturday, June 18, 2016

Painting the Blue Dome Parts

I started painting the blue dome parts using the Dupli-Color Sonic Blue Pearl paint that was recommended by the Builders Club. If the weather cooperates this weekend, I may be able to get all the blue parts painted, including repainting the booster covers so they match the dome.

I am very happy with the color. It is a nice purply blue, with subtle metallic highlights.




Sunday, May 22, 2016

Chrome Dome Painting

After some filling and much sanding, I finally got the dome ready for chrome painting. I used Krylon Aluminum/Metallic Cover Maxx from Wal-Mart, which was recommended by the R2 Builder's group. My first coat turned out dull and splotchy, which I discovered was due to the fact that it was too cold outside when I painted it. Fortunately, the next weekend was warm and sunny, and I let the dome sit in the sun for a while before I started painting. That, along with shaking the crap out of the can of paint helped the next coats turn out quite well. I may do another coat to get a few spots that need a little touchup.