Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Resin Vents

Got the resin vents that I ordered from Don's Place Ebay Store. A very nice chap in England who sells a few cast resin parts. Very fast turnaround!

This is the first pre-made part I have purchased. I just did not feel up to fabricating these babies by hand. I will probably splurge for some other tricky parts like the radar eye and the holoprojectors, and of course, the dome.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Outer Skin Test Fit

I got the inner skins glued in place and today at lunch I did a test fit of the inner skins.

It took a little effort to get the skins to fit up to the shoulder hubs, but I am very happy with the results.

Next, I am going to sand and prime and paint some test pieces of styrene to see how much I need to sand the skins. I want everything to be sanded properly before I attached the outer skins.

I am using the 3M VHB tape for Uline to attach the skins. Testing showed that it holds really well and I am looking forward to using something other than super glue!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Inner Skin Test Fitting

Trimming around the shoulder hubs for the inner skins. Really taking my time to get this right. I think I'll deviate from the club specs and put a rubber gasket around the hole to hide any irregularity. Plus, it will make that transition look a little more industrial. Thanks Greg for that suggestion!

I think I'll track down that industrial tape for putting on the outer skins. I think super glue would be too messy. Besides, I like the idea of peeling off a little bit at a time and getting it into position.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Details, details!

I got the skins trimmed out and I brought the body frame and skins to work to get some help wrapping them.

I went to Douglas Hardware and bought some strap clamps that I plan on using to assist in the wrap.

Today I used the drill press to drill the inside round corners of the door detail pieces of the outer skin. For some reason some of the pieces had center marks for the corners and others didn't. I used duct tape to make a jigon the drill press to do the pieces without marks. Worked like a charm! A few straight cuts and I'll be in business!