Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ankle Filling and Sanding

Filling the cracks on the first ankle. I did a first pass of the primer last week to discover spots that needed sanding and filling. I am cutting my teeth on this first ankle, getting the hang of sanding and filling. I hope successive parts go more smoothly!

More Skirt Work

After a vacation hiatus I was able to get a few minutes in today to work on the skirt. I found the support pieces and glued them in, along with the top piece. I'll have to cut the pieces that wrap when I get back to work on Monday.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Center Ankle and Skirt

Glued up some of the pieces for the center ankle and will finish it up on my lunch hour this week since I have the 1mm styrene there to do the skinning.

Started the skirt to discover that I didn't cut out a bunch of skirt support pieces. Doh! And my frankenstein Dremel cutting attachment could not be adjusted to cut the rounded parts of the skirt. I had to cut those by hand. SIGH! I did have enough pieces to get started on the skirt and so far so good. I have to skin that at work as well.

Thought I'd get more done this weekend but we had an unexpected trip to Six Flags with my brother and his wife to celebrate our birthdays. More flags! More fun! Needless to say, I'm beat!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rough Fit of Legs

Got the ankles (mostly) done as well as the legs and I could not wait any longer to attach them to the body frame. Had to do some hole enlargement to get the bolts onto the body, but it is a nice, snug fit. Now it's looking like a droid!

I hope to finish the outer part of the ankles and skin the legs this weekend. And if Fate is smiling on me, the skirt as well!

Monday, August 9, 2010

First Ankle … continues

Snuck in 30 minutes of R2 time tonight. Glued some more bits of the ankle and did a lot of sanding to smooth out the side. Funny how things go faster with fresh sandpaper! Don't mind the rough edges, that's just some of template peeling off. I still need it to round off the end of the ankle.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

First Ankle

Started assembling the first ankle from the pieces I trimmed out earlier. Sandwiched the pieces together with Krazy Glue. Lots of fussing with the angled pieces at the bottom of the ankle. The ones I cut from the plans didn't fit so I made ones from scratch. Hopefully, the next ankle should go more smoothly.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Weld-On Problems

While checking the outer layer of the leg, I noticed the Weld-On 16 is not creating a permanent bond. With just a little force I can pry the pieces apart, so I went back and reglued some spots with Krazy Glue. I checked a test piece I had glued together a few weeks ago and that came apart easily. Kind of a drag since the Weld-On was easier to work with.